Max height of garden fencing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've read various web sites on this but getting differing views.

Max height of rear garden fencing I understand to be 2m. Some web sites state that this should include any trellis on top. What about gravel boards, does the 2m include gravel board, fence panel and trellis in that overall height?

And for the front of the house where the fence faces a road, I understand the max height allowed is 1m. What about when it runs down the boundary line between two houses at the front, is it still 2m or 1m?

Thx.

Sponsored Links
Sorry to jump on someone else’s thread, but I have a corner plot and on the side of the property there’s a small wall adjacent to the path which is probably 300mm high.

A further 5m from the path is a 1.8m high fence between the front (side) garden and the rear garden.

Im thinking of moving the 1.8m fence closer to the path by about 3m, therefore making the rear garden larger and the front (side) garden smaller.

I can’t find anything that indicates I’d need planning as long as the replaced fence is below 2m.

Does anyone know of any other rules I’d be breaching if I did this. This 1.8m fence is not marked on the deeds.

Sponsored Links
Fences and gates need planning permission but, provided your permitted development rights are intact, permission is usually given by permitted development subject to certain restrictions;
Gates and fences adjacent to a highway are limited to 1m high - all others 2m high.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back