Roof lantern on flat roof garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone know what permission/regs that will be required for converting our garage. The garage is brick built single skin with timber joists flat roof. It is about 6m by 3.5m and is right on the boundry of nextdoor but not near highway. We want to do the following:

1. Add a roof lantern of approx 1.5m x 2m to the exisiting flat roof.

2. divide the garage internally to have a small workshop at one end

3. Add a set of bi fold patio doors onto the the side for entrance to garden.

4. The new rooms will be a summer/guest house for occasional use plus the small workshop on the other side.

Sponsored Links
I called the planning office and I will need building regs AND planning permission. They said if the roof lantern/light takes the roof height above 2500mm then planning will be needed as it's within 2m of boundry. However, the building is already above 2500mm, it is 2550mm so whats the score here then? It is also says on the planning portal that you can add a roof light as long as it doesnt go above 150mm. What gives here!!.....

Again I'm no expert but as I understand it you should be OK with it sticking up 150mm as long as it doesn't go above the the existing highest point of the roof. It'll depend on your design but I suspect a roof lantern would increase the height so would need planning. You are always at the mercy of the local planners, though.

From the planning portal:
The permitted development rules allow for roof alterations without the need for planning permission, subject to the following limits and conditions:

* Any alteration to project no more than 150 millimetres from the existing roof plane.
* No alteration to be higher than the highest part of the roof.

Sponsored Links
A roof light (ie window) is different to a roof lantern - which are typically a good few feet higher than a roof and domed or angled

Your proposal should require planning permission, but many people would just do this work without it. If there ever was a need to apply retrospectively then there is no reason why it would be refused.

2,3,4 will require b/regs approval and not planning approval.

The lantern will also require b/regs approval

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back