Flat roof to sloping roof on single detached garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

The flat roof on our single detached garage is coming to the end of its life and i am considering putting a proper sloped roof on it - i hate flat roofs and the extra height will be useful for storage.

I would be using the exsisting height of the building on one side and building up the other side slightly to acheive the desired angle of slope.

Will i need planning permission and/or building reg approval for this?

Thanks, stu

Sponsored Links
Reg's - yes.

P.P. - mebbe.

It will depend upon the finished height of the roof and maybe even the location relative to neighbours or highway may have a bearing.

Thanks noseall.

The garage is to the rear of the property about 5M behind and set to the side. Its a long way from the highway and we dont have neighbours on that side, just a farmers field. Infact we only have one neighbour as the house is semi detached with fields all around us. The garages are obviously not on the boundary between the two properties and the work will have little visual impact on any one.

I intend building up the height on the side adjoining the field. It will be visible from the highway. It is the original garage that was built in the 1920's. I will be actually lowering the height at one side because the garage wall goes about 18" higher than the roof level on all sides except the rear (it is drained to the back into a gutter). Therefore the wall i intend to build up will be only be slightly higher depending on the pitch angle i require.

I will be using natural slate to match the house roof - already got it free from a demolition!

I hope that this will be seen as permitted development but i am not entirely sure.

Thanks, stu

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back