Sun tunnels and window in flat roof of attached garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm considering adding a sun tunnel to a bathroom, the tunnel would emerge through the roof on the street facing side. Does this mean it would require planning approval?

I'd also like to add a window in the flat roof that we're replacing on the attached garage to get some more light in there. I was hoping this could be done simply and cheaply with something like the product in the link below, but then reading on here I've come across posts about various building regs relating to positioning and fire proofing of windows so now I'm not sure, how do these apply to garages? It's only worth adding the roof window if it can be done cheaply.

https://www.building-supplies-onlin...ingle-glazed-fixed-dome-only-by-hi-light.html

Thank you in advance

Sponsored Links
Get one of the flat ones that don't project more than 150mm above the tiles, and you'll be ok.

OK I think I now understand how the rules would apply to fitting a sun tunnel on the pitched roof of the house, thanks.

I have been looking at skylights for flat roofs to install on our attached garage when we replace the old felt roof. They seem to all specify an upstand that is no less than 150mm in height. With the window itself then on top of this it will exceed the 150mm max limit allowed from the roof plane. Furthermore, because the garage roof is flat, anything at all is going to be above the current highest point of the roof. The rule about not going above the highest point of the roof doesn't seem to make much sense for flat roofs, does it still apply?

All I want to do is let some light into the garage, I don't need anything fancy and didn't think it would be this complicated. What is my best option?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back