Garage roof change

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've currently got a leaky flat roof on my garage, with about a million repairs on it, and a skylight which seems to be the main source of water ingress.

I'm thinking of changing the roof to either a three sided affair or pitched with a cable at each end, am I likely to need planning permission/building regs for this?

Garage is attached

Sponsored Links
This may be within your permitted development rights so it would be worth phoning the local planning department. If the garage is attached to the dwelling the change of the roof construction would need Building Regs.

This may be within your permitted development rights so it would be worth phoning the local planning department. If the garage is attached to the dwelling the change of the roof construction would need Building Regs.
Isn’t roof height also a condition of Planning PDR as well? It may also mean that the rest of it would need to comply with BR’s as well even though it’s existing & that could open up a real can of worms with foundations, electrics & all sorts. Have a look at the Planning Portal for guidance;
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/public/
I would also make that phone call to both Planning & LABC as well to clarify things.

Sponsored Links
doesnt that depend on how close it is to a boundary.lower if within a certain distance of a boundary???

The total structure size would not be over 4m for sure.

Chukka - I have no neighbours on the garage side if that makes any difference.

Planning permission would normally be required as you would be increasing the volume of the buidling (garage) and so it would be visibly different externally.

And I'm pretty sure you would require Building Regulation approval as it may be classed as a structural alteration. Better to be safe than sorry and give them a call.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back