Building regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an existing bedroom with no sockets and a light switch.I want to make it into a bathroom.I can dispense with the switch by using a pull-switch.There are motorised valves in the aitring cupboard,and a pump for the CH,plus the hot water tank.

Can Inuse this room as a bathroom?

Sponsored Links
1. Change of use to a bathroom requires Building Control approval. If you don't do it, you may have real problems when / if you come to sell.
2. The major issue is more likely to be drainage than anything else.
3. A lot will depend on the layout and which way the joists in the floor run.
4. In essence, there is unlikely to be any reason why you can't do what you want, but it must be done properly.

... and as for electricity, as long as your airing cupboard has a door on it, that is considered 'out of zone'; basically, as far as the electricity regs go, it counts as a separate room.

Even having a standard light switch in the bathroom isn't forbidden by the regs!
You should probably also consider having an extractor fan installed.

But, as @oldbuffer says, electricity in the bathroom isnt going to be your main concern! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back