Help really needed. No hot water but hot radiators??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, really appreciate some help. Ive got a potterton central heating system with a hot water tank in airing cupboard and a cold tank in the loft. The central heating works fine but there is never any hot water.

Ive looked in a DIY manual and checked the motorised valve. Even when i turn on the hot water on the timer panel it doesn't illuminate the D.H.W light but does the CH light? The motorised valve is always warm to touch and feels like its vibrating all the time.

I've taken it off the valve and the little brass nipple turns all the way around quite easily. Also the manual select on the base of the motorised valve doesn't do anything.

Just wondering if i should replace the motorised valve, a myson or whether its the timer panel not selecting the hot water. Am very confused.

Any advice / help is very gratefully recieved. Many thanks

Sponsored Links
How many motorised valves have you got? 1 x 3 port or 2 x 2 ports? and what make?Soun like Potterton/Myson

Sponsored Links
Ahh thanks for helping, yeah definately got water in the cold header tank. Its a single motorised valve, a myson mpe322. Its a 3 way, has 3 pipes out of the valve. Its always warm to touch. The thermostat on the tank is turned up and when i put the immersion heater on the water is hot.

I tried taking the valve off and turning it with a screwdriver when electrics were off but no luck.

When i put hot water on, the boiler fires up, the dhw light on the valve doesnt light up but the ch does and the radiators get hot??

Are guys as good with chics are u are central heating cos both semm impossible to understand to me!!!

Need to check if the valve is recieving power from the cylinder thermostat. If you are confident with using a multimeter you can do some checks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back