Building regulations for a lean to

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

I have a bit of a pickle to do with a neighbours lean to and i'm after a bit of advice if possible.

I have lived in my house for 8 years, it's a 2 up 2 down terrace where everyone has a single storey extension for their kitchens and bathrooms. My neighbours house, to the right as you stand looking out into the garden, has a lean to that goes from the extension over to the boundry, which is a wall.

I think it actually comes over the boundry if you were to use, but my main problem is to do with the construction of the lean to. It is made of 2 layers plywood sheets (1 on the inside of the lean to, and another on the outside with a gap inbetween), with an acrylic/plastic roof, there is no flashing from the house onto the roof, the lean to just butts up to the back of the house.

I have no idea how long it has been up, the house has been rented out since i've been here and was bought in 2005 so it could have been up before the landlady purchased the property, but does anyone know if it should adhere to any previous or current building regs?

Basically the inside wall closest to the lean to is now suffering from penetrating damp which I believe is due to the lean to. The ply wood that has been used has now pretty much disintegrated on the outside along with the timber frame. It appears that the timber framework is against the brick between the houses, and i'm not sure if they chiselled off the render or the render was done around it. Also the inadequate weather proofing is now cracked along the top and corner (which they only used some kind of sealant which has now perished) and I'm guessing water is now getting in and running down the channel between the houses and working it's way along my wall.

I would also like to add that the house next door has a very bad damp problem, a lot of it is on the same wall as mine as well as all along the back wall. Luckily I was friends with the previous tenants and they told me about their damp issues and allowed me in to see it as well as take pictures.

Unfortunately the landlady seems to have no desire to rectify things (the previous tenants told her and she did nothing, and I've mentioned it to her and no one has been round) and has put the house up for sale. I know I can start a neighbour dispute as I have discussed things with my home insurance legal team, but I'd like to know if the lean to should have been constructed with specific materials or built to a certain standard before I contemplate taking this avenue.

Sorry it's a long post but wanted to give as much info as possible.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
A drawing would help- can't tell where your neighbour's leanto is relative to your place. As for construction standards- leantos tend to be chucked up with whatever comes to hand to whatever standard the builder requires (depends if you just want to keep the rain off the bins or you want a full waterproof job). If your damp problem is really severe it might be worth you talking to Environmental Health (not sure if they'd be interested since you are an owner).

i've got some pictures on my phone so will log on here with my phone and post them.

A drawing would help- can't tell where your neighbour's leanto is relative to your place. As for construction standards- leantos tend to be chucked up with whatever comes to hand to whatever standard the builder requires (depends if you just want to keep the rain off the bins or you want a full waterproof job). If your damp problem is really severe it might be worth you talking to Environmental Health (not sure if they'd be interested since you are an owner).

Just to clarify, the lean to is used for a washing machine/tumble dryer.

Sponsored Links
IMG_20170823_101819.jpg
IMG_20170821_170512.jpg

If it's open to the main house it would need to be of "fire resisting construction" along with some other building regs. If its effectively some kind of shed separated from the house (by an external door) then maybe not.

If it's open to the main house it would need to be of "fire resisting construction" along with some other building regs. If its effectively some kind of shed separated from the house (by an external door) then maybe not.

It's not open to the house, the back door opens into it.

It will be fact and degree. Building control rarely take any action unless there is a significant risk to life or property. That might not be.

It depends on what outcome you are looking for as to what options are available.

It will be fact and degree. Building control rarely take any action unless there is a significant risk to life or property. That might not be.

It depends on what outcome you are looking for as to what options are available.

Wasn't really after an outcome just information really as it hasn't been built to last long term and obviously the landlady doesn't seem to want to fix it even though she has a duty of care.

I don't really want to go down the route of a neighbour dispute in case it costs too much, I guess I could threaten her with it especially as she is trying to sell the property and a dispute would have an impact on the price she'd get.

Does anyone know if a seller of the property has to declare things like damp problems and if so is it verbally or does it have to say on the listing?

It's certainly an eyesore, also you could argue it's blocking some light into your window? Contact your council for advise.

It's certainly an eyesore, also you could argue it's blocking some light into your window? Contact your council for advise.

It certainly is now as all the plywood is going. It's obviously going to let water in to the other side as well. And now it seems that it's letting water into the brickwork as I'm guessing there are breaks in the bricks or cement.

This is the above where the plywood is and the channel between the houses. Guessing water is also getting in there and running down.
IMG_20170720_164058.jpg

This is the view I have to look at most days as it's right in front of my kitchen window.
IMG_20170720_163726.jpg

Hmm not pretty sight, oh well let's hope she sells soon to a better owner who will knock it down.
Good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back