Building regulations or limits for where a hob should go

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm refitting an awkwardly shaped kitchen that's in a 30's house. The kitchen isn't tiny, but arranging everything is difficult as there are a number of things like several windows, 3 doors plus under stairs storage area access, boiler on the wall, positions of water connections, etc that limit where everything can go.

My question is can a worktop mounted hob go under or near a window in a kitchen? Obviously it can't go directly underneath the combi boiler(!) but the only sensible place that puts it out of the way of doors , near the sink, near where an electric supply/gas pipe can be run to it and where it can be accessed ok is halfway under a window.

I can guess that drafts on a gas hob or possibly strong sunlight obscuring flames could be a problem but would an electric hob be ok? I think it would be far enough away not to cause heat damage to the window glass, but do the building regs have much to say?

Cheers,
Mike

Sponsored Links
The Building Regulations don't specifically refer to the installation of cooker hobs. You should refer to the Manufacturer's Installation Instructions for specific requirements.

One "universal" requirement that springs to mind is for the provision of an extractor hood. IIRC the minimum distance between the hob and extractor hood is 650mm for electric and 750mm for gas so you need to consider this in any design. However, manufacturer's requirements always take precedent over any "generic" Building Regs / Guidelines.

hth

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back