Kitchen extractor fan building regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just completed a studio flat and was under the impression I didn't need an extractor fan in the kitchen because there was an openable window. My building control officer has just told me otherwise :(

The kitchen is barely used so the fan is fairly redundant, so I'm trying to work out the cheapest and easiest way to install one, particularly because I haven't run electrics or ducting for it.....

The easiest route would be to install a bathroom style fan on the external wall (opposite wall to the hob, around 2-3m away). I asked the officer if it had to be within a certain distance of the hob but he said only if the fan's manufacturer stated so and I can't find this info on any of the products I've seen.

Any advice re type of fan and distance from hob I can get away with would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Bathroom fan would be no good unless it's set to run permanently as it doesn't have enough airflow. You would need a proper kitchen extractor 125mm or more.
You can get away with smaller if it's a hood, normal extractor could be anywhere in the room

Approved Document F is the relevant document for ventilation of dwellings. There are various ways to comply with the ventilation requirements but you are talking about intermittent mechanical extract ventilation. A bathroom 'style' extract fan, as in an axial through the wall fan, is suitable but you need one for a kitchen with an extract rate of at least 60 litres per second (bathroom fans only need to be 30 L/S) if not adjacent to the hob ( 30 L/S adjacent to hob or 60 L/S elsewhere ) Fans other than cooker hoods should be installed as high as practical and preferably less than 400mm below the ceiling.
Give the information to the BCO and if they still want assurance from the fan manufacturer contact the technical advisory service of Vent Axia , Greenwood , Xpelair , or whichever make of fan you want to use, give them the dimensions and ceiling height of the room and ask them to recommend a suitable fan and email you the technical details which you can then give to the BCO. Assuming your studio flat is not out of the ordinary and there is no open fire in the room .
Regards

And whatever type you fit, spend the extra money and get one with a proper shutter mechanism (not the various gravity ones which flap in the breeze and rattle and are REALLY ANNOYING!!!!!!!!). You don't have to worry about switching the fan on with the lights, overrun etc- the Approved Document merely requires that the fan can be switched on and off (so an FCU will do it).

Sponsored Links
not quite anywhere , fan should not be situated between the hob and the door into the room. ( but sounds like it would not be as you describe it )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back