Replacing electric hob with gas - extraction rules?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Getting a gas hob installed to replace a crummy electric one and just want to check what I will need regarding extraction. Currently there's a (broken) recirculating extractor obviously needs replacing. Kitchen is 3.5m x 2.7m, has openable windows, no units on the wall where the hob is, and I know about the 750mm minimum height from the hob to the extractor. So my questions are:

1. Do I need an extractor ducted to the outside world for a gas hob?

2. Can a hood extractor be ducted to a soffit vent, rather than straight out of a wall or through a roof?

3. Is there a minimum diameter for the ducting, or does that just depend on the extractor I end up with?

There's never been a ducted extractor in the kitchen before, and going out through a soffit vent is the only option if one is necessary because of it being a mid-terrace and the boiler taking up the only other bit of external wall.

TIA!

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

Getting a gas hob installed to replace a crummy electric one and just want to check what I will need regarding extraction. Currently there's a (broken) recirculating extractor obviously needs replacing. Kitchen is 3.5m x 2.7m, has openable windows, no units on the wall where the hob is, and I know about the 750mm minimum height from the hob to the extractor. So my questions are:

Not if you dont want to, but while your putting a new one in I would do it.

2. Can a hood extractor be ducted to a soffit vent, rather than straight out of a wall or through a roof?
If you want yes

3. Is there a minimum diameter for the ducting, or does that just depend on the extractor I end up with?
100mm is the norm but some of the new chimney one require 150mm

There's never been a ducted extractor in the kitchen before, and going out through a soffit vent is the only option if one is necessary because of it being a mid-terrace and the boiler taking up the only other bit of external wall.

TIA!

Not if you dont want to, but while your putting a new one in I would do it.

If you want yes

100mm is the norm but some of the new chimney one require 150mm

Cheers for that, much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back