Cooker Extractor for a 3.5 Metre Duct length

So are you saying that with the original motor you already had the problem of it not working very well?

Sponsored Links
The original motor had failed and the supplier suggested that the current 100mm duct is at fault. It wasn't great when it was working either! As per earlier messages, I was planning to replace the duct but this will not be an easy task. Should I replace the hood with another which has twice the extraction rate and is also a better brand than what I have currently? I' hoping that this will perform better across the 100mm duct.

I don't have anything to add to my previous post. You can try, but it could be money not well spent.

I have read the thread with interest, if it was me I would approach it all from a very different angle, although a gas hob produces both waste produces and heat which need to be removed, an electric induction hob does not produce the waste produces, or the heat of a gas hob, but is as controllable unless silly touch controls are used, and a 3 kW induction hob is around twice as hot as a 5 kW gas hob simply as all heat goes into the pan, and not into the kitchen.

So maybe the way forward is to kick the gas to touch and move to electric induction then there is only a need to remove odours, which a charcoal can do, no need to extract to outside, and if you do extract to outside the rate can be much lower.

You would also at the same time get all the extra safety features, no naked flames, no combustion produces, auto overheat shut down, auto switch off when pan removed with permanent switch off if removed for long time, putting it in simple terms if some one invented a gas cooker today, it would be banned, it is only because of its historic use that it is still allowed. The whole idea of balancing a pan on fingers rather than on a flat surface seems daft.

Pre induction hob I can see why people used gas, but today gas is just a cheap way to have a controllable hob when you can't afford an induction hob, and with the cost of installing an extractor, likely induction is in your case the cheap option. Just be aware that touch controls can spoil an induction hob, with knobs it is as controllable as gas, but depending how set up, with touch controls it can spoil the induction hob as it takes so long to adjust heat settings.

Sponsored Links
I like the thinking @ericmark. However, my wife is a big fan of chapattis and its almost impossible to prepare these on an electric hob. We definitely need the gas option.

I appreciating you reading through the thread. Does that leave me with many options?

Have a look at the Neff Domino range of hobs, I have two induction and two gas hobs using two Domino units. I accept they are not the cheapest but they are very good quality.

You can get tava for induction hobs never cooked it, and I know using an induction wok it is too heavy so does not work very well, not sure if the same goes for the tava.

Some things work well, you can get griddle units which span two heat areas this could not be done with gas as no where for the flame to go. I will admit getting new pans with bases to which a magnet would stick was a pain, stainless steel pressure cooker is now a door stop, however we found the stand alone pressure cooker so much better, it auto turns down, so you set and forget.

The same with deep fat frying, I would not dream of using a standard pan, I have used a stand alone unit for years. Once you collect a range of stand alone units, then you also find you don't need 4 heat areas, in fact in mothers house she had a halogen domino hob which is to be frank useless, so we have the single induction hob from Lidi bought for the caravan sitting on top of her hob, with fuse removed for old halogen so can't be switched on in error, and we have worked with just one heat area for ages, with the pressure cooker, and deep fat fryer, etc doing the work of other heat areas, best is the microwave pressure cooker, do all the veg in that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back