What sort of Extractor fan?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to put in an extracter fan in a new toilet under the stairs to come on with the light pull. The only way to run the ducting is through the adjacent room to an external wall. Its about 2.5 metres and will have one bend in it.
What sort of extractor is best for long runs? An in-duct one or wall mounted one? Can anyone recomend a place to get them on-line?
I have an in-duct fan kicking about, but not sure if it will be powerfull enough. Regs say it needs to do 30 l/sec - will the duct run length affect the performance?
Also - will it need a pull cord double pole switch??

many thanks
Will

Sponsored Links
Under the stairs...a small room I presume. a 4" in-line fan would be best. What you need is 1) a 4" in-line fan 2) a 4" ducting kit that will cover the distance, otherwise get 2. 3) an external grille. 4) a few metres of 3-core and earth 5) a triple pole fan isolating switch. Some 6mm Earth (if you have a small sink in there too ) for bonding and a couple of Tenby EC14 earth clamps.
I am assuming you know how to put it all together but I suspect you are not a sparky so I would advise you get one.

Look for a centrifugal fan - they are designed for long duct runs and higher extract rate for the same sized duct as standard axial fans.

Sponsored Links
cheers for that - reckon i will get an in line fan and get a sparky to put it all together!

thanks

Will

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back