Building Regulations regarding open tread/riser stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

Our staircase is in our living room (and there's no easy way of relocating it), and the living room itself isn't particularly massive. The current staircase is quite overpowering (as well as being ugly generally). I'm considering whether replacing it with something like this would be feasible....

Stilo_zps66171c66.jpg

or something like the one in the centre of this picture....

sroombig2_zpsc830e087.jpg

However, I'm totally baffled by building regulations, mostly the situation regarding fire safety. Our current staircase is woooden with a plasterboard underside, which I thought was necessary under building regulations. Are the two staircases above compliant, or would something like a sprinkler system or similar likely be necessary?

Sponsored Links
You only need plasterboard if there's a cupboard or room beneath it and fire separation is required. Presumably you don't have a cupboard beneath as you're looking at these kind of alternatives?

The two examples would comply although only if a 100mmØ sphere could not pass through between the treads or balustrade. This is why in the second example rods have been fitted between the treads.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back