Building Regulations - Space between WC and Kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know whether a kitchen that is basically a cooker cavity 60cm and a worktop of 80cm can be stated as a kitchen? There are no other facilities available. Directly opposite is a tiny kitchen sink. The entire area is 1.5m2. You enter the area via the dining room and the kitchen leads directly to bathroom. So in essence this is a walkway. The WC is less than 1m from the cooking food prep area.

I am struggling to find reference to building regulations. I feel that this is probably against standard regulations?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
What context - what are you trying to find out?

The building regulations do not define what a kitchen is

Hi Woody,

Sorry if I sound vague, really have no building/structural knowledge..

I have asked my landlord to relocate the kitchen to the room that is empty and used as a dining space (not beside a wc). I do not think the kitchen was every supposed to be where it is placed. There is only one outside drain and you can see that the pipes from the kitchen sink are new and the pipes from the bathroom are old. I think this may have originally been a passage to the bathroom. The house is a unmodernised Victorian terraced house. The previous tenant had lived there for 70 years!

I just don't think having a WC less than 1m from kitchen is the norm when you have to walk through a tiny food preparation/kitchen space? The rest of the house is laid out in a standard way.

I was originally told that the kitchen and bathroom were to be modified however nothing has been done in 2 years. I pay rent every month and have never failed to pay on time. This is more than cosmetic, so I feel it is my landlords responsibility. My landlord is Peabody Trust.

You can have a WC accessed directly from a kitchen provided it has its own basin. Why did you move in if you don't like the layout?

Sponsored Links
Hi freddymercurystwin,

Thanks for the response. I was told that is was going to be modified and hasn't been in the 2 years I have been a tenant. I have a lifetime/secure tenancy and wanted to find out whether my landlord had a responsibility to fix this or whether I was expected to pay for major renovations in a property that I will never own. Like I said, I was told this was going to be addressed and I am now being fobbed off. I just wanted to know whether it was structurally/reasonably set out and whether there were any regulations that would not allow the layout. It just seems very odd.

Thanks for your response.

Your landlord is there to make money, not spend it.

The work that was mentioned, was it written down?

If not then you might have a long wait.

Andy

Thanks for the reply Andy.

No it was a verbal agreement as they are supposed to adhere to the decent homes standard set out by the government.

Also,

If I were to make changes (again I know I sound very vague!) Would I enquire to a plumber or builder?

I think the water and waste pipes would be extended via the existing drain in the garden. Can you advise on the correct way to enquire for a quote?

Thanks Donna

OK.

Well, building regulations would not apply to you as they deal with new build or significant refurbishment. But just for reference, a WC can be next to a kitchen and the door from the WC can open into a kitchen under the building regulations - but that does not mean it will be acceptable under other legislation

What would be of help to you is the Environmental Protection Act (EPA 1990), and this would apply to a rented property

Under this, your landlord is obligated to provide adequate and hygienic surfaces for the preparation and storage of food, and an hygienic layout without risk of cross-infection. If the area does not, then it could be deemed prejudicial to health

Another avenue may be to have an assessment done under the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS)

You local council can advise you on ether of these at no cost to you

There may also be recourse under your tenancy agreement under contract/L&T law. But you should see a Solicitor about this

Your landlord is there to make money, not spend it.

That may be a landlords point of view, but a rental agreement is actually a two-way agreement - the payment of rent which in turn guarantees a number of statutory and contractual obligations.

Thank you so much Woody,

I will look into the areas you suggested, Really very very grateful!! :eek:

Decent Homes standard requires three or more of:

• Kitchen with appropriate space and layout
• Appropriately located bathroom and toilet
• Adequate noise insulation
• Adequate size and layout of communal areas in blocks of flats
• Kitchen of 20 years old or less
• Bathroom of 30 years old or less

What is 'appropriate' would depend on the size of house and expected number of occupants. It sounds like what you have might be accepted as the minimum for a 1-person / studio.

You might want to draw your landlord's attention to the prefabricated kitchens eg
http://www.elfinkitchens.co.uk/index.php
They're under £1000 + VAT for a complete kitchen unit ready to plug and plumb in.

Hi OwainDIYer,

It is in fact a Victorian terraced house. 2 up 2 down type style: living room, dining room (which I think should be the kitchen as its a big open redundant space) all normal sizes, 2 bedrooms upstairs again normal sizes. I think originally there would have been an out house and the bathroom is a extension to the original build. There are 3 people living at the property (me and 2 children over 10)

So I wonder whether this is appropriately spaced? I had some very good reference points to research, so will try them.

Thank you for your feedback.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back