Building sites 110v

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have been working on building sites for over 6 years and sometimes i see that people have connected a 110v plug onto a 240v extension lead so they can plug in 240v power tool chargers into the big 110v transformers, is this safe to do ? and how would you go about doing it as I am on a big site and do not trust people when leaving battery's on charge in the canteens and I am working 6 floors up.

Thanks in advanced. :)

Sponsored Links
Look on your charger. If it says something like 100-230v, just chop the 240v plug off and fit a 110.

Do you mean connecting a 230v appliance to a 110v supply? Or are you just talking about the colour of the lead?

Just because something is yellow or blue does not 100% guarantee the voltage

Thanks for the reply, they chop the 230v plug of a extention lead and put a 110v on it then plug it into the transformer then people plug there 230v chargers into the extention lead. Does that make Sense? I've even seen a kettle plugged in lol

Sponsored Links
as Lec' says, if your charger is rated for 110v you will be ok.

A kettle must take an age to boil at 110v!

Thanks for the reply, they chop the 230v plug of a extention lead and put a 110v on it then plug it into the transformer then people plug there 230v chargers into the extention lead. Does that make Sense? I've even seen a kettle plugged in lol
As Lectrician has said, it's very possible that the chargers are designed to work on either 110V or 230V (as he says, read what it says on them), in which case that would be fine. However, a 230V kettle would take rather a long time to boil on 110V (in theory, about 4 times as long as on 230V).

Edit: snap, Iggifer :)

Kind Regards, John

:LOL:

So of my charger worked on 110v could I put a 110v plug onto a 230v extention lead so I didnt have to change them to charge at work them home? As I've seen it done but do not know how to do it. Thanks

literally just a 230v extension reel or similar and get a yellow 110v plug, chop the household plug (or commando plug) and put the 110v one, plug your stuff in, job done

literally just a 230v extension reel or similar and get a yellow 110v plug, chop the household plug (or commando plug) and put the 110v one, plug your stuff in, job done
... but first check that the charger does say that it is OK with 110v, otherwise you batteries won't get charged !

Kind Regards, John

Hello, I have been working on building sites for over 6 years and sometimes i see that people have connected a 110v plug onto a 240v extension lead so they can plug in 240v power tool chargers into the big 110v transformers, is this safe to do ?
In general I would say it is not unduly hazardous but a couple of things to be aware of.

You need to check if the equipment is suitable for the voltage or not, the acceptable input voltage range should be marked on the equipment somewhere. If the equipment is not suitable for the lower voltage it will most likely just not work but there is the possibility it could cause some equipment to overheat.

Also be aware that on UK 110V supplies are center tapped. So the nominally "neutral" pin is not actually a neutral. In particular this means that plug fuses in equipment you plug in will not provide protection against certain types of faults.

and how would you go about doing it
If I was going to do this I would get a nice tough high quality extension socket from the likes of duraplug or permaplug then fit some 1.5mm arctic yellow flex and the yellow CEEFORM plug.

I had to buy a 110V version of my drill battery charger to allow me to charge off site supplies. My 230V charger (bosch) does NOT work on 110V.

I do have a 110V to 13A adaptor to plug in my phone charger to the site supply.

So where the 230v has earth live and neutral what does the 110 have and how would you wire a 230v to a 110v plug?

For all intents and purposes, 110V has L,N,E just the same as a 230V supply.

Be careful though, a lot of sites don't like home made adaptors, especially if it isn't carrying the obligatory PAT test sticker.

For all intents and purposes, 110V has L,N,E just the same as a 230V supply.

Be careful though, a lot of sites don't like home made adaptors, especially if it isn't carrying the obligatory PAT test sticker.

Ok thanks for your help , should just be a easy swap then, so on 110v the way round the l.n.e is the same as 230v? I shall be checking my charger tomorrow

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back