building small wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been trying to find a builder to do this for but no luck, so ive decided to have a go myself.

im trying to build 2 short pillars using breeze blocks, they only need to be 2 ft long and 2.5ft high. can anyone tell me what i should use to fix the blocks to each other, is it just cement or should i be using something else ?

when it built its going to support a 1" wooden worktop, thats going to support 500Kg.

Sponsored Links
The blocks should be fine, my concern would be the 1" thick boarding, 500kg is 1/2 a tonne or 5 fat blokes. Youll need something stronger.
As far as the blockwork goes, think about maybe laying the blocks flat or doing it in brickwork.

Sponsored Links
i was going to fix 4x4 beams across the bottom of the worktop surface to give it the extra strength, ( and may still use 2 25mm pieces of plywood just in case ).

is it just 5:1 sand cement for the mix i should be making ?

Depending on the distance between the stub walls, put at least 2 beams under the worktop 3 would be better if your spanning over 1.4m.

the total distance is 2m. im planning on using 3 walls altogether, but only 2 will be directly under the tank (which is 1.3m).

im planning to use 4 4x4 beams approx 4" apart from each other, does that sound OK ?

sorry to keep going on about the mix for the cement, or do you mean i dont need any, and can just stack them up ?

Thanks for your help so far

1.3m span means you only need 2 may 3 to be on the safe side.
You'll be better off mortaring the walls down to avoid the odd knock moving your tank, youll also be able to adject the walls to get a level base. 1:5 mix will be fine

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back