Building survey issues - rendering and damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First time poster but please don't let that put you off :D
I've just had a building survey report back for a house that I'm buying. It's a small 1820s end-of-terrace and surprisingly few issues were noted. I'd just like a little advice on what appear to be the most pressing ones.
The main external walls to the property are seen to be in solid brickwork with rendered finish to all elevations down to about two courses above ground level to the front, down to the ground level to the right side gable and low to the ground to the rear. The render needs chopping back and finishing with a bell mouth beading at two courses above ground level, fitted to the lower level. In other areas the render is down to the ground which is not an acceptable detail.
Can someone please explain why this is an issue, and what the consequences could be if not dealt with? It sounds like a fairly minor thing to fix? Would just like to confirm that it is minor and something I can get sorted post-completion without huge expense.
The internal face of the walls just above ground level when tested with an electronic moisture meter showed signs of rising damp in the left side party wall in the living room and to either side of the chimney breast.
Here I am most concerned about the chimney breast. I've found evidence of frequent re-painting internally (at least once a year... maybe they just wanted a different colour, but...). Looking at Street View from 2009 I see the following:

There appears to be visible damp/water marks on the chimney breast. Also some visible distortion at 1st and 2nd floor level (the property is 3-storey, floors are of "timber suspended construction"). How alarmed should I be about this? The house has since been painted (at least 2 years ago) and neither issue is evident (it's no longer pink, either!).

I think it's pretty standard but the surveyor has recommended a damp survey. It sounds like this would be a good idea, but are they actually useful or just interested in selling damp-proofing?

Any advice will be gratefully received, this will (could!) be my first house so nervous about pretty much everything!

Sponsored Links
the reason why you have been advised to remove the render is to stop the render bridging any dpc that may be there.
if after you have done this and there is still a concern with damp????then get a survey done,but be aware they will say what they want to ensure a job.

Ah, that makes sense, thank you. The report made no connection between the rendering issue and the damp.

Sponsored Links
Simply chopping back the render to above the DPC will probably do as an "in the meantime" fix to prevent bridging damp. Any bellmouth can be fixed later.
Its no big deal - do it yourself with a hammer & chisel. Work to a neat straight and level line.

The chimney flues can both be seen "grinning" thro the gable render. This is due to lack of ventilation and not sweeping of the flues allowing soot to turn acidic, and perhaps water penetration of the chimney stack. Sweep and vent - read up on here for much relevant information. Again, not a big issue.

Most internal plaster/damp/salts issues are simple enough to carry out. The damp indications on either side of the c/breast are probably connected with the sooty flues.

Are the floors solid or suspended?
No matter what, a 200yr old house will probably take up a few thousand pounds to put to basic rights.

Unless specific Mortgage Retentions have been made stay away from "Damp & Timber surveys".

If you buy the house then come back on here for further advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back