Building Survey Template/Guides

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I'm going to put my house on the market soon, and have been progressing through my original building survey report. The thought came to me, whether there are any templates or guides I can look at, progressing forward to ensure I have generally ticked anything else off before it goes on the market?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Waste of time

Have a look around the house, whatever you can see any surveyor can see. If you don't know what you are looking for, then how can you know if its right or wrong, a problem or not a problem? And what you think was a problem and then carry our some sort of repair, was not really a problem but evidence of the repair now makes it a problem.

And how will you know if the buyer is having a survey or just a valuation where the numpty valuer will make some clueless comment regardless? Or an Homebuyer survey, a full building survey, a structural survey, or an independent survey - all of which are different and look at the same thing in different ways by people with different opinions.

Just cut the grass, turn the lights on and start up the coffee machine.

Sponsored Links
Thankyou!

This sample me to take a wander around the house and see if I've missed anything in preperation. I don't understand why someone would leave it to chance - some prep is better than put my feet up and do nothing approach

House sellers in Scotland are obliged to have a "single survey" with a fairly standard format. Not directly applicable in other parts of UK, but sample reports will give an idea of the sort of things a surveyor in any location might be looking at. Here is one example:
https://www.onesurvey.org/media/1093/sample-home-reportcompressed.pdf

Roof- have a good look at it. Any slipped tiles/slates, missing or loose ridge tiles, that sort of stuff get them fixed (if the roof is baggy cos some idiot replaced the original slates with concrete tiles that's a big tickeet item)
Chimneys- how good does the pointing look? (Phone photos and zoom can be quite useful). TV aerial or dish attached- brackets in good nick or rusted out? Cable clipped up properly or just draped (usually noisy in the windy season)
Rainwater goods (gutters)- are they in good nick? Any plants growing out of them? Any green areas of brickwork on the walls showing evidence of failure
Windows- any gaps between windows and walls. Windows and doors in good order?
Brickwork- pointing OK? Render- is it blown? Does it stop above DPC?
External ground - is it 150 below DPC? Air bricks clear?
Internal
Loose or saggy floorboards- fix them
Any doors or windows that don't open or close smoothly fix them (UNLESS with the doors its just carpet drag)
Any windows with locks- have you got the keys?
Evidence of condensation (green mould at the base of windows inside, specially on uPVC. Clean thoroughly- lots of hot soapy water)
Any movable furniture backed onto walls- pull it out, look for black mould. Clean it off if you find it
Any evidence of serious damp/condensation (paper falling off)- consider a swift redecorate removing the paper & emulsioning with light breathable paint
Heating (radiators)- get the Brasso out on the pipework round the valves to remove any crud (doesn't work on plastic pipes)
Light switches- any that don't click positively or arc a bit- replace them
13A sockets- any with switches that are sloppy or too stiff, replace.
Staircase/bannister should be rock solid. Sort if it isn't
Bathroom- drippy taps? Fix them. Manky silicon round the bath- redo it. Tile grout black and disgusting- clean it out. Similar for the kitchen.
Loft- accessible? Insulation visible & to modern standard (you'll need that for the EPC). Any tanks properly insulated & covered?
I'm sure there's more, hope that lot is helpful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back