Building up floor level

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Looking for a bit of DIY flooring advice as I've not really gone below the top layer before.

This is in a 3rd floor flat where I've quickly rolled back the floor covering (Carpet & underlay) to investigate a badly uneven section of floor in a small bedroom and found the following:

2 x layers of 5mm fibreboard

A layer of 18mm T&G board that looks like it's had water damage at some point. Someone has replaced a single section using board of a different depth (15mm) o_O causing the squeeking and uneveness

A layer of paper backed fibre insulation - which is pretty much ruined

Finally another layer of board, which actually looks ok, feels solid and doesn't squeek at all. This is screwed to the joists.

The higher T&G board layer was screwed through the fibre insulation and into the subfloor.

I'm thinking of keeping the subfloor as it seems fine (at least in the small section I've revealed) , but obviously the insulation upwards is all getting binned. However this leaves me with about 32mm to fill to get back up the same level as before, otherwise there will be a step-down through the doorway.

Whats the best approach? Some kind of sound insulation then a floating chipboard on top?
Cheap solution could be something like this in two layers, one below and one above a 23mm T&G board?
https://www.screwfix.com/p/vitrex-p...6m/68038#product_additional_details_container

That would get the height right but not sure it's the correct use. Covering will be carpet

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back