Built in double oven on plug

Thanks guys for your advice. Yes, the original house was a 2 up 2 down, so renovated to add a further 2 bedrooms, bathroom, kitchen, entrance hall and downstairs wc which more than doubled the footprint. Shower is on combi boiler, just can't understand why there's no cooker point as it wouldn't have cost any more as it was a full rewire anyway!

Sponsored Links
... just can't understand why there's no cooker point as it wouldn't have cost any more as it was a full rewire anyway!

er ... why wouldn't it have cost any more?

I know what you're saying, the difference wouldn't have been great, but it'd have put a few more hours on the job, involved more materials, and if the person looking for the cheapest quote didn't deem it necessary to have a dedicated cooker circuit, then that's the result.

In the grand scheme of things, when you go to the expense of building an extension twice the size of the original house and you are set to make over £100k profit, would the expense of a cooker cable and switch break the bank, that was my point.

You need to deal with what you've got. If you can get hold of the bloke who rewired it he may remember what that 40A breaker is for- could be it used to be an electric shower or maybe it used to be the cooker. Either way he may have coiled up the redundant cable under the floorboards so you might get lucky.
Failing that, you're into;
  • My dubious suggestion above (shower switch on RFC)
  • If you have space & capacity, getting an electrician to run a new appropriate supply from CU to cooker area & terminating with cooker point. Needs RCD protection cos new circuit, can't DIY cos new circuit
  • Giving up on the double oven & getting 2 single ovens
  • There is another option but it is massively shoddy and could be dangerous if implemented with limited knowledge.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back