built in oven wiring question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, having removed an old oven i am about to install a new one, no problems with that, but on removing the original socket/spur i have found there are 2 3 core live cables both of which are the correct size for an oven, i am puzzled as to why there are 2 cables not just one, is this because it is wired in a ring and is this necessary?

Sponsored Links
Might there haev been two cooking units ?

The oven linked in to the cooker point with 2 x cables, and then the other cable went to the hob ?

Picture might help, but you shouldn't assume anything and the best thing to do will be to trace the cables. Physically or via testing.

As for your assumption that the cables are fine for a oven, how have you concluded that ?

Like for like change ?
Knowledge of cable (true size) and existing fuse rating ?
Knowledge of condition and confirmation that new load is acceptable ?

Camera and picture of socket with wires showing, picture of fuse board and fuse for circuit and some details on the watt load of the new oven would help confirm a few things for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back