Built in wardrobe question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - Just looking for a little advise.

I'm just about to make an attempt at knocking up a built in wardrobe with some sliding doors and have a couple of questions. I'm reasonably handy but have no idea about something like this, which I why I'm here.

I'm going wall to wall at one end of the bedroom and after pricing up custom fit doors, I've decided to go with some standard ones... It's 4.3m between walls and 2.4m floor to ceiling. Biggest I can manage with standard doors is 3.6m wide (4 x 91cm doors) x 2.2m high. So I'll have to build in from the walls about 350mm each side, which shouldn't be a problem. but I'm also going to have to come down from the ceiling a little - this is where I'm not sure. How do I go about this? Should I just screw a length of timber to the ceiling joints? (the run perpendicular)? The how do I build down from that?

And what sort of timber should I use? I'm a little worried about using anything too heavy because the joists aren't exactly substantial.

On end will be against and outside wall - so I'm concerned about damp being a problem - any suggestions here that I can incorporate while building?

finally any thoughts on what to do with the 'lost' space that will at each side? (it's a foot of storage on each side that I doing really want to waste - but I can see the access being a problem)

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
There are other sizes of sliding door. I used all the extra space on one end to fill with shelving in one of my bedrooms. [about 400mm] though you can still run a rail into each end as it's still very usable space.The top will require very little build down and take no weight as the doors run on base track.Hid mine behind mdf 'pelmet'.

Thanks for the reply - I know there are different sized doors, but I'm trying to keep the cost to a minimum and that's the size of the ones I've found. I'd prefer floor to ceiling, but they would need to be custom and it's just to expensive.

I'll be putting a plinth on top of our oak floors, so that will be about 25mm taken up - so with the height of the opening for the doors, I only need to build about 140mm down from the ceiling. any suggestions on the best way to go about this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back