Built in wardrobes for bedroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am looking at tackling some built in wardrobes for my daughters room. Not having done this before looking for some guidance. I am in a new build 2012 so partition walls. I first thought of building a wooden frame and plaster board, but now feel the metal stud and plasterboard is cheaper. I feel I could build a frame and cover with plasterboard. It would be about 2.5m long so maybe 2 doors? I am a bit unsure of the finish more than anything like type of doors, mirrors are not needed. I would appreciate any advice like use metal studs for sure over wood. I did build a conservatory a few years so feel ok with DIY jobs. We have existing built in wardrobes from builders so I can get an idea of size.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
I've built two sets at home using Stanley sliding doors.

I built the internal carcassing and clothes rails first then fitted the doors etc after.

The doors require a pre-determined height opening size. I started with a (levelled) 4" x 1" rail on the floor and measured up from this, boxing the ceiling down to suit. Easy once you have done the first one.

Your question is whether to use metal stud or timber to build your wardrobe superstructure and by and large that depends on what you feel most comfortable working with. Both will do the job, as it sounds like you already no, so here's a link to building metal partitions - http://www.diyadvice.com/diy/doors-windows/install-door/frame-with-metal-studs/ and if you need to ask anything further, please feel free...pinenot :)

Hi Thanks for reply the website looks good, I probably will go with wood as I am not used to metal and price is similar. Also I would want some shelves which I feel comfortable doing in wood. Just need to work out now size of wood, plasterboard thickness etc.

Sponsored Links
Probably 3x2 CLS would be a good choice of wood (these sizes are nominal and the timber actually measures, 2 5/8"x1 3/4" ) and you can either have studs @600 centers (1/2" plasterboard) or @400 centers (3/8" plasterboard)...pinenot :)

As far as the carcass shelving is concerned all I needed was some 2" x 1" planed battening and some WBP ply. I also used a 3" x 1" planed strengthening rail fitted to the front of the horizontal shelving to deal with bow.

Regards the doors; If you are going wall - wall the all you need do is box the ceiling down a fit a base rail to the floor. 3" x 2" cls will be fine for the boxing down.

If you need to build your own side panel then the same cls will be ok. It will need to stick out about 700mm in order to get clothes in there and have a bit of extra wall sticking past the doors.

Hi thanks for advice, I looked at some wood and sure 3x 2 will be fine also the 9.5mm plasterboard feels strong enough, looking at doors now as this will determine a lot. Slidingdoors not wanted so found some white would effect from bandq for around 20 to 30 pounds, though reading reviews they may warp so I will be aware. Wardrobe will be about 1.8m wide.
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back