Built-under double ovens too small

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're currently looking to replace our free standing double oven cooker with a built under one which is currently between two cupboard units. (We'll refit the worktop to go all the way across and have a separate hob on top)

I don't understand why I can't find a built-under double oven with a main oven as big as our old one. I know that built-in ovens (intended to be fitted higher up in a vertical unit) are too tall to fit under a counter, but all the built-under ones are either only single ovens, or doubles with a small main oven. And in most there is only 1 shelf in the main oven, as they are generally under 50 litres volume.

What I've noticed is that they don't extend to the ground, in order to complete the "built under look" and allow space for the kick board that is under the other cupboards. But why can't I buy one as tall as the free standing cooker we already have (or a couple of inches shorter so that it fits under the countertop) with no space for the kick board?

I don't want the kick board, I want the cooker to stand at floor level, but fit under the counter top. Then the main oven could be bigger than 50 litres.

Sponsored Links
The grill would be to low, there is no call for one.
If you buy a built in 1200mm double oven you can mount that on a low plinth & have it on the floor, but it would then be above the worktop.

The grill would be to low, there is no call for one.

I disagree. We currently have a freestanding cooker level with the counter top which has a double oven - grill in the top.

My point is why can't built-under ovens be as tall* as free standing cookers? Then the main oven would be a similar size, rather than the somewhat smaller ones they seem to have.

* Obviously, the max they could be would be a couple of inches shorter than the counter top, so as to fit underneath. But all the ones I've seen seem to have 4 inches spare underneath in order to fit a kickboard. That's a waste of 4" IMO. I want to use that for more oven volume!

When I worked in development of domestic appliances, there were basically 2 sizes of ovens.
1 had a large aperture the other had a smaller one (the grill compartment). Like there were 2 standard widths 18” & 21”, it was only the 21” that was ever built in.

The same chassis was used for a conventional cooker, just up the other way.
A single oven was the large aperture. Hence only 2 sizes.
It was quite a revolutionary construction method, as it was all spot welded together no need for nuts, bolts & frames.
Most European cookers are made that way these days
The American market has bigger ovens & of course now the range type cooker is about.
Manufacturers make for the masses.

Sponsored Links
I don't quite see you point....

Typically a single oven capacity is around 57 litres, as is the main oven of a 900mm built-in double oven, and also a stand alone double oven cooker.

My problem is that all built-under double ovens have a main oven capacity under 50 litres. I don't see why a built-under unit can't have the same size main oven as a free standing cooker that slots into the same space.

It's because all built-under double ovens are only 720mm in height and stand 4in off the floor to allow for a kick board. I want to use that bottom 4in for oven volume, like a free standing cooker does!

There arnt that many dbl ovens for build under.
Probably because there is not much call for them.
When we have our wish list we sometimes cant get what we want.
======

I wanted a built in double oven & microwave in the same houseing, I couldnt buy it, so I made it.
======
I also modified a built in m/wave to be installed above a built in double oven.
==========
Not so easy with build under.

Yes, I specifically also want the smaller top oven to have a fan in which reduces my choices even more! Mainly because conventional top ovens don't cook very well, but with built-under, I'm likely to need it more since the main oven is smaller than I'm used to with a standalone cooker!

I just wish I could find a built-in double oven about 30mm smaller than the norm and I could just squeeze it under the counter top!

If its that important, can you not raise your worktop, if you are only looking for 30mm

Not really. We're not planning an revamping the whole worktop. Our old cooker is damaged and we originally plumped for a stand-alone one inserted between two cupboard units because when we designed the kitchen, there was no obvious layout that allowed us to mount a built-in oven in a vertical unit.

However, my wife's never liked the gap at the sides (albeit tiny) and would prefer to replace the worktop with a continuous one all the way across with a separate hob and built-under oven. So we're not planning on any other work and the top still has to join up all the way round.

I'm just bugged by the fact that built-under double ovens don't seem to be as high as the could be..... :( I want one that goes all the way to the ground.

I'm in the same predicament, looking for a double built under oven with same volume as a freestanding one. As the post is a couple of years old, I assume it's sorted - did you ever find a suitable solution?
Mike

You should have started a new thread.
You cant have a double oven, built under...there aint enough room

In hindsight maybe a PM would have been better, but if had I started a new thread, the OP would not know I was asking how he solved his problem.
Mike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back