Built using too much plasticiser

Eamman,
It will be perfect.
And for you, who I presume is hand mixing, and not using a machine, it will better as pre-mixing with water will ensure it mixes 100% in with the cement.
SFK
That's what got me with when they said mix to the dry mix, it sounded daft! Are you a builder,I'll ask this question anyway, this is for a small dwarf wall greenhouse, and it won't be an even full brick course ,so there'll be gaps,I was thinking of filling 2 gaps wit 2 inches of brick instead of a single 4inch brick just so a brick will go over it better ,if you see what I mean?

Sponsored Links
No a DIYer
when they said mix to the dry mix, it sounded daft
Not daft as builder might be using a hose to provide the water, and so cannot pre-add plasticiser to water.
So into big cement mixer he adds 1 bag of cement and (say) 3 bags of sand, and then 85ml of your plasticiser.
And only then adds water using hose.

filling 2 gaps wit 2 inches of brick instead of a single 4inch brick just so a brick will go over it better
Put bricks on dry (no mortar) for first two courses and see if it works and if it looks okay.

SFK

No a DIYer

Not daft as builder might be using a hose to provide the water, and so cannot pre-add plasticiser to water.
So into big cement mixer he adds 1 bag of cement and (say) 3 bags of sand, and then 85ml of your plasticiser.

Put bricks on dry (no mortar) for first two courses and see if it works and if it looks okay.

SFK
Already have them out dry, but there will be gaps to fill, and I think I'd be better with as I say 2 inch pieces of brick instead of 1 4 inch!

No a DIYer

SFK
Actually looks like one gap about 2 inches, which is even better!

Sponsored Links
No a DIYer

SFK
Forgot to ask you can one bed up the brick by much, part of foundation is off level by 8mm?

No a DIYer

SFK
here's one for you,I laid a line on the longer length of the build it's touching the bricks on one end actually first 23 bricks and touching the end brick but, is away from the other bricks in that line! However, I borrowed a folding 4 foot square and all the bricks are to the edge of the square! So, which is right and which is wrong?

Last edited:
No a DIYer

SFK
put brick out on dry run and there's one gap on the first course,and just for good measure I ran a dry run on course onto of that, and that's giving me 2 gaps! would I be wrong to assume next course will revert back to one gap? sorry for all the questions!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back