Built using too much plasticiser

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.

Ive built an internal block wall (non load bearing), im only 4 blocks high at the moment however i i realised ive used way too much plasticiser when i built it. The instructions said 85ml per 25kg of cement. I remember using 85ml per 25kg of sand/cement mix so about 10 times what the instructions said. Its only the internal wall to the porch.

It was built about 4 weeks ago and is fine no cracks or anything.

Should i rip it down and start again or will it be ok to carry on building on?

Just concerned it will crack and disintegrate in the future.

Sponsored Links
It won’t fall down, don’t worry. Yes you’ve used more than recommended, but then a lot of people tend to put a good glug of it in mixes of various sizes

Don't worry.
I've seen people use gallons of the stuff without much effect on the final built

Hi guys.

Ix so about 10 times what the instructions said. Its only the internal wall to the porch.
Not so bad - a readymix would be 4 sand to 1 cement. (so 5 parts per gauge) or 5kg cement and 20kg sand. Therefore recommended dose is 85ml to 5 bags of readymix:unsure:. Could be worse, you could've put half a bottle of fairy liquid in it - then the shops would have sold out(n)

Sponsored Links
What if using say 1-2 shovels of cement, so,8 sand 2 cement! How much plasticiser? Also when doing brickwork and have to fill in gap with brick, how small can gap to be filled be?

Last edited:
Too much plasticiser will create too many bubbles, so the risk is that the wall may float off if not properly tied down.

Too much plasticiser will create too many bubbles, so the risk is that the wall may float off if not properly tied down.
so how much if using just 4 shovels of sand and one of cement?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 16.45.19.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 16.45.19.png
    52.7 KB · Views: 270
Thanks Eamman. Coz they are on the shelf next to the Plaz I thought that's what they were for.
Didn't expect an answer from woody, he's probably gone down the library to look up the answer(only to find it's closed).

Dont they give you a ratio based on the gauging water?
I don't actually know what that means,I thought someone might know-how much to put in with say 4 shovels of sand to one of cement! I don't know what a glug is either!

Thanks Eamman. Coz they are on the shelf next to the Plaz I thought that's what they were for.
Didn't expect an answer from woody, he's probably gone down the library to look up the answer(only to find it's closed).
Or ,He's gone off with Miss bo peep!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back