Bulging corners around doorway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly, this problem has been present since we purchased the house, but it's more getting more noticeable as the area gets bashed on the way in and out.

You can hopefully see from the pictures that the external corner in the doorway is not true, there are bulges and dents up and down the length of the corner, and now some of the bulges are starting to rip.

I assume this was caused by bad workmanship. Is there anything DIY that I can do to fix this, or is it a job for the professionals?

Thanks

IMG_20170109_193902.jpg IMG_20170109_193949.jpg IMG_20170109_194000.jpg

Sponsored Links
Lightly probe inside any handy gap and check if thats a metal corner bead or simply a paper corner?

I've not poked, but it looks like a paper corner.

One day when I am getting brave I shall try and pull the tape off and replace. Thanks for the help, both.

Sponsored Links
you might find it easier to replace with a metal skim coat corner bead and then easifill and sand back

Given that the corner is "getting bashed" then it might be best to forget about re-newing the tape or fixing a bead.
Why not instead use a 38mm x 38mm x 2000mm angle of alu. metal from Ironmongers supplies and probably many other outlets.
You cut and drill the corner protector to suit and it will take paint.

That's a good idea for future protection.

Any idea what causes this in the first place? I only ask as I have noticed it starting to happen on one of the upstairs windows too. Is it just poor installation? Probably should add the house was a new build and is just coming up to five years old.

Ordinary paper tape or even metalled tape is not IMO suitable for any outside corners - its typically applied by in a hurry "plasterer's" (or DIY'ers).
Vibration and central heating (expansion etc.) are reasons for it to fail. Applying too dry a tape might also cause delaminating. And, as always, prep & background.
New builds are often thrown up any old how - "House Bashing" get the money and get out.

I'm not going to argue with you about new builds being knocked out quickly at a low standard.

Speaking to some of the neighbours and they have the same issues.

I'm not going to argue with you about new builds being knocked out quickly at a low standard.

Speaking to some of the neighbours and they have the same issues.
I would never buy a new build after some of the snagging I used to get called out to do on them one of old my bosses bought one and decided to take the coving off and he discovered the wall board was 2 inches short from the ceiling on the party walls meaning there was a gap between his house and his neighbours shocking

That's a good idea for future protection.

Any idea what causes this in the first place? I only ask as I have noticed it starting to happen on one of the upstairs windows too. Is it just poor installation? Probably should add the house was a new build and is just coming up to five years old.
yep poor installation, not bedded into the jointing compound properly, usually not enough compound or compound too dry.

As an update, had a professional in who replaced with metal corners and replastered. Didn't trust myself to do it!

Very shoddy workmanship, happens a lot nowadays, especially with taping. When people buy a new house nowadays, they look at the "lovely new kitchen", the "gorgeous new bathroom", the "beautiful new windows and doors", but they DON'T look at the WALLS, and the CEILINGS.
The things you see more of in any house/property is the ceilings and walls. I've seen many houses where the joints in the plasterboard stick out like a sore thumb, especially on ceilings. You have walls on the stairwell, where sheets of plasterboard meet end on, creating a massive bump, tapes coming off etc etc,, shocking!!
You get walls and ceilings where NAILS, SCREWHEADS and BUMPS are visible on many walls and ceilings, especially when the light shines across them, or vinyl silk paint shows them up.
If you went out to buy a new car and it had a little scratch here, or a small dent there, you wouldn't buy it, yet people go and spend thousands upon thousands upon thousands buying a new house/property, but fail to notice all the faults and rubbish workmanship throught the house.
Many new houses built today when you look closely at them, are RUBBISH. Built cheaply, but sold on very overpriced.
IF YOU'RE GOING TO BUY A NEW HOUSE ETC, HAVE A REAL GOOD INSPECTION OF ALL THE WALLS, CEILINGS, CORNERS ETC BEFORE YOU SIGN THE PAPER.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back