Bumpy Vs Flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

About to re-fit the bathroom.
everything from replacing the loo to the lighting and tiling.

been searching for a good tile.
I'm looking at a nice large (either 400x300 or 600x300)
white tile with a stone border to give a modern feel to the room without
spending too much.

however I cant decide to go with a flat tile or bumpy.

bumpy gloss is cheaper across the board ( usually around £10sqm ) whereas a flat gloss is around 50% more.
I'm only tiling a small area (10sqm) so neither is exactly expensive.
but I don't want to pick one then regret it afterwards.

so before I go get anything I wanted to see what peoples opinions were as to bumpy vs flat.

I have until next week to make my mind up as that's when the tilers are due to start ripping everything out etc.

cheers everyone

Sponsored Links
Are we talking floors here?

A flat gloss tile is going to be like an ice rink when wet.

other than that its personal opinion. Which do you prefer?

no its for wall tiles.
I'm not dull enough to put smooth wall tiles down as floor tiles.

I prefer flat.

just wanted to see if anybody had any pros/cons of either tile.

flat will look more modern. make sure you use a powdered addy for that size tile

Sponsored Links
With tiles that size on a wall, I would be more concerned about the suitability of your tile base (for heavy tiles), the preparation & the type of adhesive being used. I hope, for your sake, your tiler knows what he’s about!

Tiles are very much personal choice but, for walls, I’d go flat & matt tiles also look good. 10 sq/m of tiles but over how many walls & what size? Large format tiles can be difficult to get looking good on relatively small walls &, if they get it wrong, will look rather naff!

With tiles that size on a wall, I would be more concerned about the suitability of your tile base (for heavy tiles), the preparation & the type of adhesive being used. I hope, for your sake, your tiler knows what he’s about!

Tiles are very much personal choice but, for walls, I’d go flat & matt tiles also look good. 10 sq/m of tiles but over how many walls & what size? Large format tiles can be difficult to get looking good on relatively small walls &, if they get it wrong, will look rather naff!

Its on walls around a length and a half of a bath. and the width too
so an L shape floor to ceiling. walls being 3ft(wide) x 8ft(tall) and then 7ft x 8ft

so not a large wall by any means, however ive settled on a 25x33cm flat gloss tile with a stone border. any smaller tile and i think it would end up looking like a council house bathroom.

i have seen my tilers work from his website and his feedback has been positive.

ive read everywhere that a powder addy (of good brand) is essential so will certainly be checking up that he does use it.

btw - as for weight my walls are poured concrete, and then skimmed so not the best.
in fact i was advised not to install my plasma (50" about 30kg) to my wall
so do you think the tiles will be ok?

Floor to ceiling tiles is out. Skim and paint if you want it to look modern.

i have seen my tilers work from his website and his feedback has been positive.
Be careful with photos, it’s not unknown for the unscrupulous to use pics of someone else’s jobs & as for the positive feedback, he's hardly going to leave negative feedback on there is he!

ive read everywhere that a powder addy (of good brand) is essential so will certainly be checking up that he does use it.

A decent tub mix is fine up to tiles of around 250mm, yours aren’t that large but I would use powder adhesive on tiles that size. Gypsum plaster must also be acrylic primed to avoid any reaction with cement in the addy.

btw - as for weight my walls are poured concrete, and then skimmed so not the best.
in fact i was advised not to install my plasma (50" about 30kg) to my wall
so do you think the tiles will be ok?
The poured concrete walls will take the weight it’s the plaster skim over the top you need to watch out for, what is the weight of your tiles? Anything over 18 kg/sqm could be too heavy once you add the weight of adhesive & grout.

I don’t see any problem hanging your 30 kg plasma on a concrete wall as long as the fixings are a suitable size & long enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back