1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Prepping walls for tiling

Discussion in 'Tiling' started by ScotchGas, 12 Jun 2018.

1. ScotchGas

ScotchGas

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    So ripped the bathroom out on a recently bought flat & one of the walls i’ll be tiling has bonding over plasterboard.
    Was going to skim coat it & tank it, as it’s the side wall to where the bath will be, then tile over however i’m a bit unsure as to whether the bonding + skim will weaken the plasterboards weight taking.

Will the plasterboard take the weight of the bonding, skim & tiles ok sticking to the 20kg m2 or best to start ripping everything back out and re-panelling, which I really can’t be arsed doing :(?

2. bobasd

bobasd

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    for me, wet walls should be backer board or render. no need to skim if background is flat and plum.
    but if you just leave the bonding over p/b and tank it then that should be OKref the weight issue.
    if theres any doubt or movement in the background then it all has to come off.

3. Sponsored Links
  4. L95

L95

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Skim weakens the wall dramatically. Just tank the raw pb.

5. opps

opps

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    https://www.tiles.org.uk/services/frequently-asked-questions/#16

The link above gives the weight bearing loads for different substrates, as L95 says, skimmed plasterboard has a lower rating than un-plastered boards.

However i have always suspected that the load bearing is based upon tiles being horizontal (ie upside down) rather than vertical. Can any one clarify?

6. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

7. Sponsored Links