Travertine in shower area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm tiling my shower area which is three sided two sides are internal block wall with a plaster bonding coat followed by a skim (no plasterboard. The other wall is a small partition I have put up and lined with 12mm aquapanel.

I have some Travertine tiles 12mm x 305mm x 600mm which weigh in at about 30kg/m2.

I was planning on tanking the wall and installing these onto the sound plaster until today but I've been reading about tile backer boards which can be fixed to the wall mechanically and then tiled onto which would support a greater weight.

I've read a lot about tiles this heavy on dry lined wall being a definite no, which instinctively makes sense. However I can't find much about walls with a bonding coat plus a skim. Could anyone conform - Is the tiling backer board necessary or not in my situation?

Thanks,
Dan

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back