Fixing backer board to paramount wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anybody help, I have purchased travertine tiles for my shower enclosure. I was advised to mount backer board to the wall before I tile, the problem is that the instructions say that the backer board can only be fixed to wooden studs in the wall but I have none only cardboard. Is it possible to either fix battens to the wall or remove the plaster board and cardboard oneside and construct a wooden frame glued to the other sides plaster board. I'm unsure how to tackle this.

Sponsored Links
This has been covered somewhere before but im not sure if its in this section or the plastering one.

You have a few choices, you could do as youve suggested, its alot of mincing about to make sure you dont damage the other plasterboard on the wall though but if you have time on your side then go for it. You could completly remove and replace the wall with a proper stud wall or you could build a wall infront of the existing wall. What ever you do make sure you have a good long level and a string line and make the wall really true, it will make tiling so much quicker and easier!

If the purpose of the backer boards is to give a waterproof tile base, have you considerer tanking instead? I’ve no knowledge/experience with the load charring capacity of Paramount studding but if the wall is plastered, this will be the limiting factor as it has a maximum weight limit of 20 kg/sqm (including adhesive & grout); if your tiles weigh in at more than 18 kg/sqm it won’t be an option.

Marmox backer boards can either be mechanically fixed or using tile adhesive but again, if the walls are plastered, this will be the limiting factor as far as max tile weight goes, as above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back