Tile backer board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to commence on a bathroom refurb. which will include tiling on a stud wall I will be building.

I shall be cladding the stud wall with tile backer board of some description and would appreciate some guidance on which board to use.

Looking at various backer boards, some seem to be rigid and relatively heavy (e.g Hardibacker cement board), whilst others are much lighter (e.g. Elements board as championed by Roger Bisby).

So my question is, if I choose to use the lighter weight board is it rigid enough that it won't subsequently flex and cause the tiles to become dislodged or is it better if I clad the stud wall with standard plasterboard and over clad with the tile backer?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you're building the studwall from scratch you have the luxury of not only getting it exactly plumb, square and flat, but also being able to space the studs at the distances required for whatever boards you decide to use. Personally I'd use construction boards in any wet area (like the Elements board, marmox, STS, Q-board and others) as these are completely waterproof and will hold whatever weight of tile you want. Studwork centres for 12.5mm boards is usually 400mm but check with whichever one you choose and follow their instructions. If the rest of the bathroom is outside the wet area then standard 12.5mm plasterboard is fine. If you choose the 12.5mm construction boards it will make life easier for you transitioning from one to the other.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back