tile backer boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I'm tiling our bathroom with slate tiles so due to weight i need a tile backer board after talking to a chap at tops tiles he recommended hardiback so i got 6mm hardibacker on masonry walls and the end wall where the shower is (shower bath) a stud wall so ive used 12mm as hardibacker is only water resistant whats the best way to make it water proof ?

or would i be best changing the board to a marmox board?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I'm tiling our bathroom with slate tiles so due to weight i need a tile backer board after talking to a chap at tops tiles he recommended hardiback so i got 6mm hardibacker on masonry walls
You should still be using 12mm boards on walls, even more so if you’ve got heavy tiles. Make sure you use the correct adhesive
and the end wall where the shower is (shower bath) a stud wall so ive used 12mm
12mm what?
as hardibacker is only water resistant whats the best way to make it water proof ? or would i be best changing the board to a marmox board?
You could switch to Marmox but Hardi or Aquapanel are perfectly adequate for a shower or around a bath without further tanking; only really necessary in a wet room & then only the bottom half.

Thanks Rich I did phoned hardibacker who confirmed 6mm hardi for masonry walls but use adhesive and 5x55mm anchors ?

(used a cement base adhesive)

I ve used 12mm hardi on the stud wall

Great so i dont have to change it shower end, hardi will be fine ?

[/quote]

I did phoned hardibacker who confirmed 6mm hardi for masonry walls but use adhesive and 5x55mm anchors ?
Interesting; must admit I use Aquapanel rather than Hardi. Personally I would still use 12mm to be safe.
used a cement base adhesive
Flexi I hope & a quality trade product, not chaepo DIY stuff ;)
I ve used 12mm hardi on the stud wall
Fine ;)
Great so i dont have to change it shower end, hardi will be fine ?
I’ve never tanked Aquapanel (similar) in wet areas & have never had a failure; as I said, only really necessary in wet rooms.

Sponsored Links
Well the 6mm is on the wall already so lets hope hardi are right :D

i used keraquick grey fast setting flexible £32 a bag

Fantastic

Thanks for your help rich

Ad

Well the 6mm is on the wall already so lets hope hardi are right :D
I’m sure they are; if not you can always put in a claim under their warranty :LOL: . I’d still use 12mm though ;)
i used keraquick grey fast setting flexible £32 a bag
Good man, you shouldn’t have any problems with that ;) but that's one hell of a price, I assume it's 20Kg :confused:

Yep your right 20kg bag !

Hoping I don't need there warranty :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back