Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a brick wall that I intend to install a bath against with a fixed shower head:

unnamed (13).jpg

I'll use either tile backer board (insulation + cement layer) or hardibacker with a tanking kit; attaching via dot and dab (plasterboard adhesive) and screws + washers to hold it in.

However, what's the best way to prep this surface first? Wash it down and then PVA or SBR? Do I need to scrub and use something like Thistle Bondit instead?

Also any views on merits of hardibacker vs. foam+cement tilebacker board?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Watering down and applying PVA or SBR is purely done to change a high suction background to a low suction backgroud. Most adhesives, plaster etc.. require moisture in order to set. A high suction background (eg. new bare plaster, thermalite block) sucks the moisture out of the adhesive/plaster etc..

Bondit is good to give a good surface for Multifinish.

In bathrooms I've done, I've just dot n dabbed plasterboard, skimmed off and fitted the bathroom suite.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back