Correct way to fix backerboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I plan to refurbish a shower, which will entail stripping the tiles from a solid wall. I intend to use a suitable backer board which will need to be fixed to the wall then tanked. There will be a gap of about 30mm from the wall to the edge of the shower tray. What is the right way to mount the board? Should I use wooden battens, and if so at what intervals.

Many thanks,

John

Sponsored Links
Are you looking to use the battens to spacer off the wall so that the 30mm gap goes to nothing? It's going to be a right faff if you're looking to keep the 30mm. I'd buy a bigger tray and cut it down, or chisel the wall out, or buy a cut-to-size wet room tray?

Yes exactly, I need to bring the panel 30mm away from the brick wall. I don't really want to get into a new tray. The fitting of the battens doesn't seem too faffy, I would screw through them into the wall, but maybe I would need a membrane, and / or something to fill the gap behind the panel to reduce condensation?

Sponsored Links
Forget stripping the tiles, just sub their thickness off the batten, whack a 25mm one on, for example. Consider marmox/wedi style boards.. They're an insulating foam covered both sides with a cementitious material. Best price I found for them was on eBay I think, about a tenner a metre. Company was called Nass boards. Glue n screw battens to wall, and boards to battens. If you can leave the space behind the boards ventilated to somewhere it would be ideal

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back