fixing backerboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i've just ripped off the tiles in my shower room ,around the cubicle the walls where dot and dabbed and the water had blown the plasterboard so i was going to stud it out then screw backerboard to the studs but the block work is so uneven ive had to dot and dab it again with plasterboard ,the bloke down at topps says i cant stick backer board onto bare plasterboards even if i plaster which i wasnt going to ,he says it has to be screwed with special screws .my plan is to stick the boards on with a rapid set or somekind of no nails also screw staright to the bloack walls just to be sure it holds ...................................any advice welcomed :confused:

Sponsored Links
hi cookie,
the guy at Topps is probaly right about backer board onto plasterboard.

You could have stuck a backerboard directly onto the blockwork having primed the block first (BAL APD). I was in a similar postition, but used a Marmox board dabbed straight on to the blockwork, rather than plaster boarding first (Marmox is like Wediboard). I used additional mechanical fixings through the Marmox board with a galvanised large washer. This went right through the dab and into the block work where I had sunk a fischer wall fixing(wall plug).

I guess it depends on how level is the wall now you've re-plaster boarded and what weight of tile you want to use? If the walls are level and the tiles weight less than 32kg sq mtr (including adhesive), I would tile onto the plasterboard having applied a BAL or Dunlop waterproofing system first to protect the substrate.

If the walls are not level, you could get them plastered, but plastered walls hold less weight than plasterboard, 20kg sq metre I think but might be wrong.

Hope this helps....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back