porcelain tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have just bought a stack of 600 x 300 porcelain tiles as we intend to fully retile our bathroom including floor, walls and shower.
After carrying them to the car, I realised how heavy they are and wondered if they would be suitable for our walls. After searching on max tile weights I see that max 20k/m is recommended for skimmed pasterboard, or 32k/m for unskimmed plasterboard. These tiles weighed 20kg per box (0.9m) so they are about 22kg/m. Most of my walls are skimmed plasterboard on stud partition, with the shower area being skimmed plasterboard on block wall, so I guess I'm a bit stuffed, am I? What would you recommend? Do I remove all the skimmed plasterboard walls and replace with new plasterboard? Or can I get away with scraping the skimming off? I have half a mind just to take all the tiles back to the shop and rethink.

Sponsored Links
Chances are it'll probably be alright. But, why do you think the recommended weight limit is 20kg/m²? Depends..... do you feel lucky punk? ;)

As you have correctly found out, the official Uk Building Standard for fixing tiles to Gypsum skimmed plaster (as veriified by Bal technical ) is "20kg per square Metre , and that includes adhesive and grout weight which per sq metre would be approx 3/4 kg.
Bare plasterboard 32 kg. Aquapanel and similar - up to 50kg.
I've known loads of people exceed the 20kg figure by a few Kgs without a problem - but you would not have any recourse to anyone if you proceeded and things went wrong. The risk is yours ---- I would suggest powdered flexible if you decide to go ahead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back