Adhesive / Preparation Confusion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am Fitting Large format Porcelain tiles in a bathroom. I have observed Kg / m etc, for plaster / plasterboard.

On skimmed plasterborad I understand I should use Bal APD primer, Bal wall & Professional cementous powder with Admix 1 , and a thick bed semi circular trowel.

On plaster board unskimmed - Is it same as above?

On painted plaster - paint is a bathroom wipeable paint so isn't flaky etc - I've sanded the wall lightly, and scored it thro' to the plaster skim - Can I use the same adhesive? Or do i need to use a pre mix on painted surfaces?

Any advise apprecaitted

thanks

Sponsored Links
I am Fitting Large format Porcelain tiles in a bathroom. I have observed Kg / m etc, for plaster / plasterboard.
What size & thickness are the tiles? The weight must include up to 4 kg/sqm for the adhesive/grout.

Some but not all porc tiles need sealing before laying; some come pre-seled & some require sealing, do you know which type do you have? What colour are they?

On skimmed plasterborad I understand I should use Bal APD primer,
You can use any Acrylic primer but usually best to stick to same manufacturer.

Bal wall & Professional cementous powder with Admix 1.

Rather than add AD1 to the Professional, personally I’d use Rapidflex or Single Part Flexible. Use Microflex grout.

and a thick bed semi circular trowel.
If the tile base is really nice & flat (new boards), with all but the largest of tiles your probably OK to use a thin bed solid bed trowel on walls. A thick bed trowel will be OK, you will just use more adhesive.

On plaster board unskimmed - Is it same as above?
Yes

On painted plaster - paint is a bathroom wipeable paint so isn't flaky etc - I've sanded the wall lightly, and scored it thro' to the plaster skim - Can I use the same adhesive? Or do i need to use a pre mix on painted surfaces?
Use the same addy; might be advisable to use Bond SBR as a primer on paint surfaces other than non vinyl emulsion.

If by pre-mix you mean tub mix, a definate NO. Never use tub pre-mix on tiles much larger than 250mm x 250mm, it relies on evaporation to set & not suitable for large/heavy tiles. It will take an age to set, your tiles will be all over the place & in some cases it wont set at all & you’ll have to take them off & start again.

Are you tiling the floor?

Tiles are 17.2kg per sq m. 600x400mm, 7.5mm thick, So I'm actually at 21kgs!!!, so i probably must use a thin bed 6mm round trowel ??? (I was going to risk the over weight...on the skimmed plaster and paint area's)
Tiles are glazed porcelain, but i can't find any information if they require sealing. They are travertine effect
I rang BAL and since i can't get hold of the Admix, they suggest i use single part, actually works out cheaper than the professional + admix.
The tile base is nice and flat.

thanks for the help

Sponsored Links
Tiles are 17.2kg per sq m. 600x400mm, 7.5mm thick, So I'm actually at 21kgs!!!, so i probably must use a thin bed 6mm round trowel ??? (I was going to risk the over weight...on the skimmed plaster and paint area's)
There is almost certainly a safety margin in the published figures & my guess it’s at least 10% but I can’t say for certain. If the plaster is sound & in good condition (no hollow noises when tapped) you should be OK but no guarantees!

Tiles are glazed porcelain, but i can't find any information if they require sealing. They are travertine effect
If it’s glazed, it doesn’t need sealing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back