Bungalow single chimney built in 1930s - Is chimney robust enough ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a modest detached bungalow.
Originally it had two front rooms and two back rooms.
One of the front rooms was a "parlour" probably kept for best, with an open fire.
The other a general living room with food being cooked upon a small range.
Between the two was a twin flue chimney stack.
The "best" front room was converted to a bedroom and the chimney-breast removed, the rough brickwork being hidden behind panelling.

I moved in 40 years ago, removed the panelling and rendered the back of the remaining flue, to ensure it was airtight (It was not previously someone had got too enthusiastic with the chisel and club hammer and banged a hole into the remaining glue - sealing said hole with a screwed up lump of wallpaper (!)
In the remaining living room, I installed an anthracite burning boiler/room heater; simply sealing the 5" flue pipe from the top of the boiler into the square brick flue

Well 40 years later the Tube Investments Parkray Everglow has reached the end if the road and sprung a leak. [Anyone needing spares contact me :)].
I intend the replacement to be a modest log burner of (say) 8 kw.

I have removed this appliance and inspected the part of the chimney sticking out of the roof, as from the ground the rendering and the pot were showing their age.
In fact, round the back on the North side of the chimney, a couple of the bricks needed to be replaced. Frost and sulphate had probably done their worst.

I already knew that at the back of the flue there was only half a brick of thickness between what would have been built as two flues. I now know that all 4 sides of the stack are only about 112mm thick, though up to ceiling level it is also part of a half brick partition wall.

The chimney will need to be lined - wood produces a lot more moisture than anthracite.

However what do the regulations say about the design of a (say) 25' flue plus chimney pot?

Sponsored Links
Sorry, but you're post isn't quite explanatory of what you're trying to achieve.

There should be at least be one brick between the front and back room, so you have a viable chimney. If you intend to fit an 8Kw stove (how big is the room, and how have you determined this) then you'll need ventilation into the room for anything over 5KW. How much are you intending to do yourself, or are you getting installed by a HETA registered fitter.

You'll need the chimmey swept and the chimney outside repointed, and you'd be better off getting a stainless steel flexible liner dropped down the chimney.

Have you decided on what stove you want, and do you know if the chimney breast opening is sufficient enough to take it.

I'm not Hetas registered either, but I've fitted 2 stoves under a building control notice. The stove fitters manual is pretty good, but he's not very helpful if you don't buy the stuff from him.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back