Burner always on when central heating on Ideal Logic Plus

That depends a little on the pipework.

The fixing point is about 20-30mm further out with doubles!

Sometimes they can be bent with an external spring.

Sometimes they can just be pulled outwards, looks horrible though.

Or the installer can be accused of doing it wrong and fitting rads which cannot give enough heat output!

In a county court you would be virtually bound to win! But he may be a man of straw living in a caravan or council house!

Tony

Sponsored Links
That depends a little on the pipework.

The fixing point is about 20-30mm further out with doubles!

Sometimes they can be bent with an external spring.

Sometimes they can just be pulled outwards, looks horrible though.

Or the installer can be accused of doing it wrong and fittings rads which cannot give enough heat output!

In a county court you would be virtually bound to win! But he may be a man of straw living in a caravan or council house!

Tony

I can live with it looking horrible (at least relatively horrible) as long as it saves me hundreds of pounds.

He's registered with Gas Safe so you would assume he would have known what he was doing not just some guy in a pub! I'll give him a call later and see what he says. I can see him disputing it though.

Is your thermometer test a standard test that all gas engineers should know so if I quote that him he should realise he's wrong? Also, could he argue that I don't have the house insulated well enough and that's why the house is not heating up enough?

Its a simple test to see if the rads can heat the room to 21 C when its -1 C outside.

Of course it might not be so cold outside but the same principle applies.

The TRVs should all be fuly open for that test.

Tony

Its a simple test to see if the rads can heat the room to 21 C when its -1 C outside.

Of course it might not be so cold outside but the same principle applies.

The TRVs should all be fuly open for that test.

Tony

I'm 99% sure it doesn't reach 21 C even when the rads are set at 78C. But I've just bought a thermometer so I can test to confirm it.

Sponsored Links
I've measured temp before and after and here are the results.

Outside: 0C

For all rooms:
Inside: 10C
Inside after CH on for 3+hours: 12C

Some of the rads are undersized and some of them are right on the edge according to online BTU tests.

I've spoken to the engineer that installed them and he has agreed to change a couple of the singles for doubles for £45 each but refuses to change the others (unless I pay the going rate).

Now obviously, if the max temp that the central heating can heat the rooms up to is 12C-13C, then something is wrong. Do I have a leg to stand on if these BTU calculators say the the size of the rads are just about OK but the rooms are freezing? Are these calculators always correct?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back