Burning dimmer lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

The previous owner has used dimmer lights throughout the house. Each room has halogen mr16 bulbs each feed from individual electronic dimmers. Today a lamp flickered on and off today then came back on but following it there was nasty plastic burning smell. I opened the join between the lamp connector and dimmer and to my horror discovered the connector block had melted.

Ever lamp in every room has these dimmers... Do I get rid of all of them or is it the bulbs?

Sponsored Links
Do you mean that the power supply (transformer) connected to the MR16 light unit has burnt out?
Or do you mean that the dimmer switch (e.g. on the wall) has burnt out?

If the problem lies with ps then replace it with a similar model.

There are a number of reasons why this could happen - poorly terminated cables in the connector block - ps has overheated - any insulation about?
Or it just got old and passed on to the great ps in the sky.

I read it as the connecter block on the light fitting
between the lampholder and the transformer, usually a loose connection causes it, ive seen it a few times

Yes sorry - that wasn't that clear. It's The connector between the lamp and electronic dimmer unit.

So I should I panic? Im just wondering at what point the house might burn down...

Sponsored Links
So I should I panic? Im just wondering at what point the house might burn down...
One assumes that these lights have been in place for a good period of time and nothing like this has happened before. If we also assume that you have done nothing to alter the current lighting/electrical set up then probably this is an isolated incident.
However, if you are concerned about the safety of your electrical installation then you should get an electrician in to carry out an Electrical Installation Condition Report - some people get these carried out before purchasing new properties I assume one wasn't done before you purchased this property.

Back to the issue - if the connector block has been damaged then you will need to replace it - or replace the whole lamp unit - if you consider the damage to be more extensive.
If you do replace the connector block/lamp unit then with the power off check that the old wiring is not damage and cut back any burnt insulation/copper until you see the new shiny stuff. Then connect you cable to the unit and away you go.
If you feel that this is beyond your competence then consider getting an electrician in to assist you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back