1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Burning timber from loft room

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cocat2517, 11 Nov 2018.

1. Cocat2517

Cocat2517

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi
    Been knocking apart a shoddy built loft room, the timber that was used in the build is all piled up ready for trashing, but I was wondering, is it safe to burn on a wood burning (or multi fuel) stove?

I'd pull all the nails out first and obviously not burn any bits with paint or bits of plasterboard still attached.

It'd save me a trip to the tip & quite a bit of free fuel.

Cheers

Attached Files:

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Is this a trick question?

4. Cocat2517

Cocat2517

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    :) No. I've never had a wood burner before, so I have no idea what is and isn't safe to burn, hence the question.

What part of it made you ask?

5. I burn about anything on mine. Nails and all. Nails just end up in the ash pile. If it's an open burner maybe more cause for concern but mines a close front Franco Belge

6. SFK

SFK

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I put it all into log burner expect for anything painted ( because if risk of lead), varnished.
    That includes nails and bits of plasterboard as they simply end up in firegrate at end. But am careful that nails do not touch glass.

Sfk

7. noseall

noseall

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Especially if you've just had them polished.

• Like Like x 1
  8. bernardgreen

bernardgreen

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Burning softwood produces more tar than burning hardwood. This can result is tar being deposited in the flue and thus the flue needs to be swept more often.

9. Cocat2517

Cocat2517

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Great, thanks, I'll get it chopped up. Only take me 20 mins to run a circular saw through it all, nearest recycle site is 45 mins away (and they charge you to dump stuff).

I might take out the 6 inch nails but leave the small plasterboard nails in.

Last edited: 12 Nov 2018
  10. Sponsored Links
  11. Cocat2517

Cocat2517

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks. This won't be a regular thing, once it's gone it's gone, it'll be proper firewood from then on.

While we're on the subject... when the burner is fitted, does the flue liner have to be insulated?

12. Mines ceramic lined and I've not had a problem with it.

13. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    I've had a multifuel with secondary "smoke eater." I used to put all sorts of rubbish in mine.

They burn cleaner but I don't know how much effect that has on the flue deposits.

I believe that in some districts ordinary dirty-burning wood burners will be outlawed.

14. foxhole

foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Ideally only untreated, unpainted, clean timber should be burned as contaminated timber gives off potentialy dangerous fumes and can choke up the flue that much quicker. But if you don't care then burn what you like.

15. KenGMac

KenGMac

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Had a wood burning cooker with C/H incorporated, I burned mostly dry logs, it would also take coal.

There was a government Minister several months ago warning about burning newly felled "green" wet timber, he was stating that that type of timber was bad for the environment?

I wonder what burning treated old structural timber that has been treated with CCA [Copper, Chrome, Arsenic] all really nasty chemicals, seem to recall if a load of such treated timber was delivered and there were drips of liquid were seen the load had to go back to the saw mill?

16. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The circular saw will do that for you.

17. Diyisfun

Diyisfun

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Ive been burning pallets for years, had the chimney cleaned & sweep said it burns hot (as it is so dry), nice clean flue. As for the nails once a week just grab them up, tried to reuse once,, but a bit soft.

Sponsored Links