Burnt out makita drill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I borrowed a makita drill off a friend, tried drilling through a wall and black smoke started to come out of it after half hour or so. I've had a quick look inside and it looks like field windings on motor are burnt out. Does any1 know how to test this? Also how to test if armature is ok?

Sponsored Links
Hitachimad said:
That must have been some wall!!

job we done the other week the bosch drill started to smoke after gettin 3CM (yes, 3cm) into the wall. and it was only a 16mm bit! first 5CM of wall was extremely hard

need to know the recomended capacity [for drilling]supplied by the manufacturer to know if youve overloaded the drill

other points to note if it hasnt got hammer action its not for heavy use

the drilling cappacity is usualy greater in low gear

in general if you can smell the motor its overloaded

also what voltage mains battery!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
This is why I never lend or borrow any power tools. :( What size of hole were you making and what type of wall? Was the bit knackered or what?

Did it get on ebay...sure Isaw one "for spares" :LOL:

Had exactly same problem with my makita 18v mxt drill 5 month old and motor bushes burnt out, got it fixed then gearbox packed up, these makita's are rubbish nowadays, circular saw is crap also!

Plumbfit said:
Had exactly same problem with my makita 18v mxt drill 5 month old and motor bushes burnt out, got it fixed then gearbox packed up, these makita's are rubbish nowadays, circular saw is rubbish also!

hmm
sold abouit 30 of them , so far no probs APART from the gearbox :mad:
If you read the instructions (and who ever does) it tells yopu to never go from 1st gear to 3rd or vice versa - you should always engage 2nd on the way :( Thats what buggers the box

(i gather a upgrade is on the way :LOL: :LOL: )

Cant go wrong with bosch - no probs AND a 3 year warrentry :LOL: :LOL:

beware of pikies and the like selling fake pirated supposedly quality power tools. My mate has his ownplant hire business and tool repairs. When approached to buy sum "new" breakers and sds drills he said he'd consider it if he could take a look inside....... Suffice to say they made their excuses and left.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back