FUBAR SDS drill?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A mate borrowed my Makita HR3210C - a 5.2Kg SDS drill that's taken whatever I've thrown at it for over 2 years.

He text me today and said he was coring with it (80mm, so within spec), and after a while it started dropping oil and smoking. He stopped, and has turned it on a couple more times since and it keeps smoking.

Is it FUBAR, or is this reasonably repairable? They are about £400 to replace. I feel bad for the guy, but at the same time I do need my drill!

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Could just be a gasket has gone in the gearbox. Could be as the armature has burned out (smoke).

Repair is a strong possibility. I've had a few Makita tools on the healing bench with a good level of success.

Thanks guys, well I will be dropping it into the Makita repair centre tomorrow morning.

Apparently there wasn't oil coming out, but he thought he could smell oil burning. So basically it smelled like burning, and there was smoke.

Sponsored Links
It's in the repair shop... needs a new armature and brushes! £140 all in.

Good decision to repair it.
I always hire a coring machine that is at least 50% oversized. A large machine does the work of a small machine but never the other way around.
That keeps you well covered against burning out.

Last edited:
Good decision to repair it.
I always hire a coring machine that is at least 50% oversized. A large machine does the work of a small machine but never the other way around.
That keeps you well covered against burning out.

30% of the cost of replacement, so yes definitely well worth the repair. Especially as I really like that drill, it's never let me down and has been bulletproof, except for this incident!

Probably going to stop lending tools even to friends...

I decided to core today with the drill, oversize again.

Guess what.....!?

(Off to the repair shop we go!)

I decided to core today with the drill, oversize again.

Guess what.....!?

(Off to the repair shop we go!)

SDS should never be pushed, they just need to be held against the surface you are drilling - let the drill do the work.

I think the issue is mostly the dust and bits getting stuck between the core bit, and then straining the motor. And the core bit is just over spec. for the drill. I thought I'd be OK 'being careful'

Coring is one job where I give my trusty Atlas Copco plenty of rest- 5 minutes on a 120mm, maybe 10 mins on a smaller hole then let it cool off for 10 or 15 mins. Not a job I do very often- usually loads easier to stitch half a brick out.

The repair shop came back to me with a price yesterday surprisingly.... £138, new brushes and armature.

Maybe that will teach me not to do it again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back