Matika SDS drill died :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hoping someone can help with this. Today my 11 month old Makita HR 2450 SDS drill lost its SDS hammer action. There is still hammer action, but the powerful SDS has gone.

The drill is under warranty, but was bought online and I have a lot of chasing and drilling to do this week!

In the last few weeks I have noticed a little black oil coming out of the chuck and onto the drill bits, not sure if this is something to be worried about?

I have never greased the drill, but it hasn't had a huge amount of use. After it lost its SDS action today, I gave it a good greasing, tried to work it in and tested it out for a few minutes, but no change :(

Can anyone suggest anything else I can try, or do I need to go to B&Q and buy a new drill?

Thanks
Tim

Sponsored Links
A bi of black grease coming from the chuck is normal, but if there's a lot of it it might be a sign you've used it too lng and need to let it cool down. It will say in the instructions what the duty cycle of your drill is.

It sounds like the bit that strikes the end of the drill bit to provide the SDS impact has failed. One of my old drills did this and it was a casting inside which had snapped.

As it's still under warranty, get it replaced. Don't try taking it in bits, you may invalidate the warranty.

Thanks for the advice!

Strange how it started to intermittently work first....

I've always had high regard for Makita tools, and this is the first failure I have ever had. My battery Makita drill has been going strong for 4 years now, and the batteries are still surprisingly good!

Sponsored Links
Perhaps never having greased has harmed it.

Possibly, but its only had light use and I read online some people saying in 10 years of use they have never needed to re-grease their SDS tools....

Possibly, but its only had light use and I read online some people saying in 10 years of use they have never needed to re-grease their SDS tools....

Probably the same people that never change the oil in their car.

Never greased any of mine including a metabo, bosch and now a dewalt, i know i should but never get round to it and not one has failed.....maybe in the new year i'll get some grease :D

The drill is now with Makita - the local repair agent said there was 'foreign metal' found inside the drill and removed this. Drill worked for 10 minutes then stopped again.

I took a look at these pieces of metal, took the drill back and pointed out that if you pieced the fragments together, they made a ring. Clearly part of the drill! Repair centre couldn't work out what part it was, and returned the drill to Makita for service.....

I had a Makita battery drill less than 12 months old and the chuck seized up and had excessive play got sent back to Makita and was sent back no fault found ! Apparently a "design feature" what that its cheap plastic ****e !
Sold the drill on eBay and Bought a Bosch even thats been back to them for a replacement planetary gear alignment.

Well finally resolved.... Makita replaced the drill with the current model, a HR2610. As I bought a replacement whilst mine was away for service, I will now sell this new one on!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back