SDS Drill Specifications

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for a new SDS drill and I don't fully understand the specs.

The two models I'm looking at (one Bosch Pro and one Makita) have the following specs listed:

Bosch:
0-900rpm, 0-4000bpm, 3.0J impact energy
Makita:
0-1200rpm, 0-4600bpm, 2.4J impact energy

So, the Bosch has a higher impact energy, but a slower impact rate. I guess that means it provides a more violent "blow" but at a slower rate? The Bosch also has a slower rotation speed though I'm not really concerned about that as my current SDS has a similarly slow rotation rate and I rarely want to use it at full speed anyway.

What are the pro's and con's?

Sponsored Links
Both good drills, but the Bosch would get my vote....you don't need high revolutions, you do need a strong impact for heavy drilling.
Do you know the wattage of the motors?
John :)

Both 800W.

It's actually to replace a fairly old Bosch Pro one which is lower in spec than either of these two.

I've always been happy with my current drill so if you reckon that'll be the better of the two anyway it seems a no brainer

I have Hilti gear, which is slow revving and high (pneumatic) force blow - and it will go through anything so I guess that's the specification for success - albeit at a huge price :eek:

Sponsored Links
I have hitachi corded 110v sds and metabo cordless.
Can't afford hilti.

I bought my TE12 in 1984 and its still up for it.....cost nearly £300 even then, if I recall :eek:
Doesn't get much use now, but if there's some solid stuff in the way, nowt beats it - or its bits.

The biggest problem I see with bits is the flutes wearing out.
I might try hilti bits some time to see how they fare.
The TE-CX metric with 4 flutes look good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back