'burst' radiator... draining

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Came home to find a 'burst' radiator (water spewing from a very small, but nevertheless annoying, hole).

Have checked the system as best as possible - appears to be 'y type' or similar, so have set the boiler to provide hot water only and no heat, as it doesn't seem possible to turn off both valves on the radiator.

Should I attempt to drain the radiator to stop the plug we have over the hole popping off and more damage being done?

[Should I drain the system for the above reason too?]

Or will the water level in the rad settle (the hole is fairly high up, one of the 'small' radiators about 14in high) and therefore nothing needs doing until the workperson appointed by the landlady arrives?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
turn the valves off at both ends and just soak up what comes out of the hole with rags or similar until it drops to that level, unless you are confident to undo the rad valve at the rad end and drain it from there.

You should be able to turn off both valves to isolate the rad, one maybe a lockshield & will have a top over it that you will turn forever & not shut it off,if this is the case get a pair of grips & pull the top off & then shut it off from the brass spindle underneath, once this is done the rad will be isolated & you can work on it.

Thanks for the help so far... will have a crack at the open valve with a bigger and better pair of pliers.... :)

One question remains - I am draining the rad, and also it seems, the rest of the system, including the expansion tank.

Surely however, I should only be affecting the 'rad' side of the system, the 'hot water' (feed to the heat exchanger in the cylinder) should be ok.... is this a sign of a defective y valve, or have I missed a stopcock somewhere?

Sponsored Links
Of course, looking at a typical system diagram, it occurs to me that if I'm draining the return side of the system, it doesn't matter what position the y valve is in.... what a learning experience this is! :)

Hopefully the final question...!

I believe the problem valve to be one usually turned with an un-marked top (as opposed to the other side, which clearly has a + mark on it...).

Underneath the top is a short cylindrical spindle, and then a small grubscrew, with room for the spindle to pass through.

I cannot seem to move the spindle at all, and the grubscrew is done up as tight as possible, but it doesn't seem to affect much even if this is removed completely, leaving only the spindle....

I suspect I'm missing something here..!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back