hole in radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my son throw a dart at my radiator and has made a small hole spurting water i have drained don radiator and turned off water supply to it is there anything I can use to fill this very small hole

Sponsored Links
Blimey! What kind of dart would make a hole in a rad unles it was already rusting out from the inside?

Matt%2Bjavelin%2Bthrow.jpg

Sponsored Links
Any dart would, they are only thin steel.

Better a hole in the rad than this poor bugger.
darts.jpg

Very easy to replace the rad Sandra.
Buy a rad of the same size, some PTFE and follow the instructions. You will most likely need a rad key, (large allen key). ;)

thanks
though doesn't need doing straight away as won't having heating on hopefully over the summer

If you drain the rad and sandpaper the surrounding paint back to shiny steel and then use epoxy to glue a cleaned 2p coin then it will usually repair the leak. Never touch either surface after they have been cleaned.

But that is a bodge repair and not what I would recommend but if done properly will usually work. BUT it could always start to leak again at any time later.

As others have said its quite possible that your rads are seriously corroded from the inside and ready to form leaking pinholes on their own.

I would have a great desire to pull the dart out of that boys head!

Tony

Similar 'bodge' to Agile's - clean area back to the metal, screw a self-tapping screw into the hole in the rad. then cover the lot in an epoxy repair putty, something like 'Devcon Plastic Steel'.

Beware if you have a therostatic valve on the rad. If the temperature drops, the valve may start to open and let some water into the radiator.

A better repair would be to braze or silver solder but that would be far easier if the rad was removed and laid to be horizontal.

That also needs soldering equipment and some skill.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back