Burying 230v domestic wires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can anyone help with this simple question.

I have just redecorated the living room and replaced the centre light and 2 side lights. I used the existing wiring. the problem is that they are both wired to the same switch. I need to have independent switching for the centre and side lights

To cut a long stroy short I need to install 1 single wire back to the switch from the side lights (which I will chang for a double switch) .

I have chased out the brick and plaster wall

The side lights are 2X 100 halogen lights

my question is

1) what cable do I need
2) in burying the wire what protection does it need.

thanks

Sponsored Links
1.5mm² T&E and no protection necessary as long as you go stright upwards from the switch, you may want to use some capping to give protection from the plastering tools and possibly enable a new cable to be threaded in in the future.

OOI, you do know there isn't normally a neutral at the switch, don't you?

Adam / sliipr4

Many thanks, your advice is greatly appreciated. I am now clear on the protection.

as for the type of cable I am still unsure. on the cable supply to the side lights there is a junction in the wall) that contains live and neutral. My intention is to install a double switch take a permanent live that feeds the main light to the switch to the side light (i.e. a bridge to the other switch) then run one single switched wire to feed side lights.

I was hoping to to run one single wire as apposed to T & E which would make two wires redundant.

cheers

Sponsored Links
Timmo said:
I was hoping to to run one single wire as apposed to T & E which would make two wires redundant.

cheers

unless its in conduit or trunking you cant

T & E it is then

Timmo, one solution would be to replace the JB for a 6 terminal one (20A). From this you can run a 1.5mm² T&E to the centre light and one to feed the wall lights.

The Neutrals would all connect together, however the Live to the respective lights would each connect to a seperate terminal in the JB.

From the JB you run a Three Core and Earth cable, again in 1.5mm². The Brown core would then be connected to the live feed into the JB, the Grey and Black cores (sleeved brown) would then be connected to the Lives feeding the lights.

At the switch the Live feed in (Brown core) is connected into the COMMON of one of the switches, and this is linked to the common of the other switch. The Grey and Black cores (again sleeved broan) are then connected to the other side of the switches, each acting as the switch line for the lights.

If the JB that you already have has seperate T&E feeds to the cieling and wall lights, then you only need to install the three core cable and replace the JB if you do not have enough terminals.

breezer said:
Timmo said:

cheers

unless its in conduit or trunking you cant

T & E it is then

cable does exist with a single normal core and an earth in a pvc jacket you could use that

otherwise just use T&E and tie the redundant core to earth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back